In New Zealand the experts recommend the KN95 face mask, or equivalent FFP2 face mask as being the best option, with disposable face masks coming in second. But both can have a place.
You may chose to buy some of each, to use at different times, depending on where you are and who you are with. Importantly, make sure you always keep a supply of face masks on hand.
FFP2 or KN95 face mask NZ
KN95 face masks are multi layered, and use a mechanical filter to block up to 95 per cent of harmful particles – hence the ‘95’ in its name.
KN95 and the European equivalent FFP2 face masks can offer hours of protection when in high-risk indoor settings where there is no or little ventilation. Both have a very tight seal around the face, fitting snugly on all sides of your face.
You can keep a stock of them, wear them once, then set aside for four days before re-using.
Particular respirator face masks are manufactured and tested all over the world, but identified by which international standard they meet:
- KN95 is the Chinese respiratory standard
- FFP2 is the European respiratory standard
- N95 is the United States respiratory standard
- P2 is the Australia/New Zealand respiratory standard
KN95 face mask or disposable surgical face mask NZ?
These are a great, cost effective option behind the KN95 or FFP2 face mask. These are the ‘blue’ medical masks you see everywhere, but it can get confusing because “non-medical”, “medical” and “surgical” are all used to describe them – and they can all meet different standards.
ZOOM Pharmacy supplied quality Surgical Face Mask meets safety standard: EN14683 Type IIR. Get three layer security, with ear loops, and filter rating: BFE99+ hypoallergenic.
Life-changing Monthly Medicines Service – Makes It So Easy!
If you are on four or more regular pills/tablets every day, and qualify for our life-changing Monthly Medicines Service – get FREE prescriptions, no monthly fees and FREE delivery to your door. *Ts & Cs apply.
Find out more at Monthly Medicines Service
- Fake face masks – what terminology to avoid – ZOOM Pharmacy
- Face Masks Can Be Confusing! KN95, FFP2, N95 or P2? – ZOOM Pharmacy
- The best masks for the Omicron outbreak – Consumer NZ
- Types of Face Masks – Unite Against Covid New Zealand Government
- Buy a Pulse Oximeter NZ from ZOOM Pharmacy – ZOOM Pharmacy
- How to use a pulse oximeter in adults – Health Navigator NZ