Creamy Thai Carrot & Coconut Soup
This recipe is inspired by the most delicious carrot soup that my flatmate cooks. I love to make it at the start of the week, portion it into ziplock bags and freeze, and then I have lunch all ready to go whenever I need it! I have not cooked pumpkin soup since I made this, because why would I? Pumpkin can be really difficult to chop up, whereas carrots are cheaper, easy to chop, and frankly, tastier.
If you want a deliciously creamy, hearty soup – with a spicy Thai red curry and coconut spin, this is the recipe for you.
- a splash of oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2½ Tbsp red curry paste
- 600g or 4 large carrots, roughly chopped into around 1cm slices, but no need to measure!
- 750mL vegetable or chicken stock
- 400mL can coconut milk
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ½-1 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½-1 Tbsp fish sauce
- a few fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- ½ cup chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- a pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add a splash of oil, onions and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft and some colour has developed.
- Add the red curry paste, stir, and fry off for a minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, stock, coconut milk, and peanut butter. Stir, and bring up to a boil.
- Simmer, with the lid partially on the pot, until the carrots are completely tender. This will depend on how large you chopped your carrots, but it tends to be around 30-40 minutes.
- Once your carrots are tender, blend the soup. If you have a soup blender, then great. If not, blend the soup in a food processor or milkshake blender.
- Return the soup back to the pot. If it is too thick, add some more stock, and bring up to a simmer. Taste, and add soy sauce, fish sauce and salt to taste. Add coriander and chilli flakes if you want.
- Serve by itself or with roasted peanuts sprinkled on top, and some bread or naan.
Recipe supplied by Alice Taylor
ZOOM Pharmacy. FREE prescriptions! Medicine delivery
Get FREE* prescriptions, great service, and medicine delivery – to anywhere in New Zealand.
To get started, simply send ZOOM Pharmacy your prescription. You can tell your medical centre to send it or do this through your patient portal, or take a photo and securely upload your prescription, or freepost / courier it yourself.