Best Cheese Roll Recipe
Looking for the best cheese roll recipe? Being Dunedin born and bred, I consider them an essential food item. What could be better than a cheese roll (or two) on a cold winter’s day!
A great cheese roll recipe can be closely guarded and hard to find, but my daughter Alice found this one in the Otago Daily Times from Jo Jones, following her win in a local competition back in 2010 – and they’re delicious!
- 500g grated cheese (mild or cheddar)
- 1 tin (375g) Nestle Carnation evaporated milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 packet (32g) Maggi onion soup mix
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- white bread (sandwich slice)
- butter for spreading
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper
- Combine cheese, milk, cream, soup mix, onion and mustard powder in a bowl, then microwave for six minutes, stirring every minute or two as you go
- Let the cheese filling then cool
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread, then place each slice of bread on the bench, butter side down
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of cooled cheese filling onto each slice (unbuttered side)
- Roll into cheese rolls using three folds
- Bake for 8–10 minutes, or until golden and the cheese filling just starts to ooze out
- Allow to cool slightly (I know, it’s difficult!) and top with a dollop of butter before eating
There is some debate around what grated cheese is best, but if you’re a cheese lover like me, any cheese will be delicious – just use whatever you have on hand. Cheese rolls do freeze well, so pop some in the freezer for baking on another day.
Get your medicine delivered from ZOOM Pharmacy
ZOOM Pharmacy provides personalised care, specific to you. Our customer care and service is second to none. Get prescription medicine delivery to your door, repeats sorted for you.
Simply send ZOOM your prescription. You can do this through your patient portal, or tell your medical centre to send it, or take a photo and securely upload your prescription, or freepost / courier it yourself. A pharmacist will then get in touch and take it from there.