This understated best ginger cake recipe has to be one of my favourites for Christmas.
Ginger, spice and all things nice
Few things are more festive than ginger, spice and nutmeg. The fresh ginger packs a punch in flavour and keeps the cake wonderfully moist. For amateur bakers, this is also a fantastic recipe for you; it is perhaps one of the most fool proof cakes out there. This cake can be served cooled and cut into squares, or warm from the oven, dusted generously with icing sugar and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 250g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup golden syrup
- 50g fresh ginger, peeled and grated finely
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- a pinch of salt
- ½ a whole nutmeg, grated
- 2 free range eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup cream (you can also use sour cream)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease and line a cake tin (I find a ring tin works best).
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, and grated ginger until all the ingredients have combined and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, mixed spice, salt and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk together the eggs, milk, and cream.
- Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients, whisk gently, and then add the eggy mixture, and whisk until just combined.
- Pour into the greased and lined cake tin and bake for between 30-35 minutes, until golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with whipped cream.
I store the ginger in the freezer, and grate from frozen. This cake is the best ginger cake recipe that I have ever come across, and is a winner with both young and old.
Recipe supplied by Alice Taylor
Medicines delivered before Christmas
ZOOM Pharmacy medicines delivery service this holiday season is available to you, wherever you may be in New Zealand. Get your prescription medicines delivered direct.
ZOOM will need to receive your prescription and have your order confirmed (any fees paid if applicable) by Monday 14 December 2020.
Remember to allow 24-48 hours for your medical centre to process your next new prescription request.
If you’re already using ZOOM, we may contact you earlier than usual about your next new prescription. This is because we want to get it sorted for you early – before the holiday season begins. Send your next new prescription to ZOOM before Christmas and be in to win one of ten $25 Prezzy Cards!
Got a question? Call 0508 966 622 – we’re here to help!