How To Care For People With Positive RAT Tests
If someone in your household has just tested positive with a RAT test, and you are caring for them, make sure you take a few simple steps to protect yourself and the rest of your household.
Top tips to help protect yourself
Frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after being in close contact or in the same room as the sick person. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
You need to wear a face mask if you are to be in the same room with the person who is ill, and he or she isn’t able to wear a face mask
Every day, clean household surfaces that are often touched, including the benchtop, tabletops and doorknobs.
Avoid cleaning the sick person’s room/bedroom/bathroom.
Set aside bedding and utensils for the sick person only to use.
Be careful with the sick persons laundry
- Don’t shake the dirty laundry
- Use the warmest setting you can
- Wash your hands after putting clothes in the dryer
- Thoroughly dry clothes
- If you are handling clothing that has been soiled by the sick person, wear disposable gloves and keep the items away from your body
- Wash your hands after removing your gloves
- Place dirty gloves and masks in a waste bin with a lid in the sick person’s room
Be careful with the sick persons dishes
- Wear gloves when handling dishes, cups or utensils used by the sick person
- Wash the items with soap and hot water or in the dishwasher
- Clean your hands after removing your gloves or handling used items
Avoid direct contact with the sick person’s bodily fluids
- Wear disposable gloves and a face mask when providing care, and when handling stool, urine or other waste
- Wash your hands before and after removing your gloves and mask
- Don’t reuse your mask or gloves
Don’t allow visitors until the sick person has completely recovered and has no signs or symptoms of COVID.
Do a RAT test yourself
If you think you may also have COVID, and your first RAT test result is negative, you may wish to take repeat RAT tests over the next few days to confirm.
Buy the essentials you need for COVID Home Care: RAT Tests, KN95 & Surgical Face Masks, Pulse Oximeter, Home Care Kits, Throat Lozenges, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, and more!
SHOP NOW at the ZOOM Pharmacy COVID Home Care SHOP
- I think I have COVID, so why is my RAT test negative? – ZOOM Pharmacy
- KN95 or surgical face mask NZ – which to buy? – ZOOM Pharmacy