Not All Fat is Bad Fat
It is time that we toss out the old idea of all fats being bad, but rather know what fats are good for us and what other delicious fats we should eat in moderation.
Good fat versus bad fat
Fats can be divided into two groups. Saturated and artificial trans fats are ‘bad fats,’ and can contribute to the myriad of problems that all fats are renowned for. Unsaturated fats and omega 3s do the opposite, however. These fats are essential for energy, vitamin absorption, and brain and heart health. Replacing bad fats with good fats is an easy way to manage cholesterol levels, weight, mood and well-being. For a more detailed list of the benefits of healthy fats, help guide has got you covered.
Monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fats
Monounsaturated fats include:
- Olive oil
- Nuts and nut butter
Polyunsaturated fats include:
- Sunflower seeds
- Flax seed
- Fatty fish
Trans & saturated fats
Monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fats listed above, can be compared to trans fats and saturated fats, which include:
- Snack foods like chips and crackers
- Fried food
- Chicken skin
- Fatty dairy products like cream and cheese
The key is to embrace good fats in the diet in higher quantities versus bad fats that should be thoroughly enjoyed in moderation.
Incorporate fats in your diet
Here are some easy ways to incorporate monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats in the diet:
- A great snack is an apple dipped into almond butter
- Pesto with cashew nuts, olive oil and seeds can be dossed through pasta. Serve salmon on the side for even more healthy fats.
- Balance those delicious corn chips with some homemade guacamole on the side.
- Toss together your favorite seeds and nuts with some oats, olive oil and a touch of honey for a delicious homemade muesli.
- Craving fried food? Toss tofu that has been pressed in cornflower and shallow fry in olive oil until crispy. Add to a stir fry or curry.
- Add a spoonful of your favorite nut butter to stir fries or curries for more flavor and monosaturated fat.
- Avocado on toast never gets old. Mash an avocado onto some seeded bread, top with lemon juice, chili flakes, chia seeds, olive oil and sea salt.
Would you like to learn more? Visit Say Yes to Health Fats by Nadia Lim.
Get your meds delivered by ZOOM Pharmacy
ZOOM Pharmacy makes managing your meds really easy. Prescription meds are delivered direct to your door, repeats organised for you. You don’t need to head out and queue at the pharmacy – ZOOM Pharmacy comes to you.
Call 0508 966 622 Monday to Friday 7AM-6PM and find out more about our great FREE medicines sachet pack service for patients on four meds or more!