Looking for the best hot cross bun recipe? As a child, Easter was always my favourite time of year. A fresh chill in the air after a long hot summer, chocolate before breakfast, and hot cross buns smothered in butter. What could be better!
A great hot cross bun recipe can be difficult to find, but Jo Seagar’s version is widely regarded as a winner. Her motto is ‘easy peasy’ so give them a go. But if all else fails, you can also check out the best supermarket hot cross buns named by Consumer NZ at the bottom!
- 4 tsp dried active yeast (15g)
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 7 cups white high grade flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- ¾ cup raisins or sultanas
- ½ cup currants
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp mixed spice
- 2 cups warm milk
- 75g melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- In a bowl combine the yeast, warm water and sugar. Leave in a warm place until the mixture becomes frothy (about 15 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and fruit.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the warm milk, melted butter, beaten egg and yeast mixture.
- Mix well then turn the dough out onto a floured bench and knead the mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 30 pieces and roll into buns.
- Place on two baking trays sprayed with non-stick baking spray, cover with cling film or a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place until the buns have doubled in size – about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC.
- For the crosses, place flour and cold water in a small ziploc bag, seal and squish it together to form a sticky paste. Snip one corner of the bag and pipe out crosses on to the buns.
- Bake the buns for about 20 minutes.
- Mix the castor sugar and water glaze and brush over the hot cross buns as they come out of the oven.
- Place the buns on a wire rack to cool – or cut open, pile on the butter, and enjoy!
Number of Buns: 30
You can use a dough hook or they can also be kneaded by hand.
Do you qualify for ZOOM Pharmacy’s free monthly medicines service?
If you’re on four funded prescription medicines or more, and qualify for our monthly medicines service, you get free prescriptions, free monthly packing, and free delivery – to anywhere in New Zealand. *Ts & Cs apply.
Plus – we’ve made it so easy to SHOP ONLINE for ZOOM’s Expert Recommended Range including: Fever Pain & Flu, Vitamins, Covid Care and more!
- Jo Seagar’s Hot Cross Buns – Recipe Bridge
- Jo Seagar
- Best supermarket hot cross buns named by Consumer NZ – 1News