VIGISOM is used to improve sleep quality and morning alertness in patients over 55 years of age with poor quality of sleep.
The active substance of VIGISOM, melatonin (not of plant or animal origin), belongs to a group of naturally occurring hormones produced in the body. Melatonin works by controlling the circadian rhythms and increasing the propensity to sleep.
Your doctor, however, may prescribe VIGISOM for another purpose. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about why it has been prescribed for you.
This medicine is only available with a doctor’s prescription.
VIGISOM is not addictive.
Active Ingredients: VIGISOM Prolonged Release Tablet contains: Melatonin 2mg
Warnings: Before you take VIGISOM
Tell your doctor if:
1. you have any allergies to any other medicines or any other substances, such as foods, preservatives or dyes.
2. you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
3. you are breast-feeding or planning to breast-feed
4. you have, or have had, the following medical conditions:
– suffer from liver problems
– suffer from kidney problems
– suffer from an autoimmune disease
– have a rare hereditary problem of galactose intolerance, the LAPP lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption
Do not give VIGISOM to a child or adolescent. There is no experience with its use in children or adolescents under 18 years old.
If you have not told your doctor about any of the above, do so before you use VIGISOM
Some medicines and VIGISOM may interfere with each other. These include:
– hypnotics and tranquilisers (e.g. benzodiazepines)
– fluvoxamine, thioridazine and imipramine (used to treat depression or psychiatric problems)
– oestrogen (contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy)
– cimetidine and psoralens (used to treat skin problems e.g. psoriasis)
The effect of adding VIGISOM to other medicines used to treat insomnia has not been examined. It is not known if VIGISOM will increase or decrease the effects of other treatments for insomnia.
Your doctor or pharmacist has more information on medicines to be careful with or avoid while taking VIGISOM.
Extended Information: Please note that even though this is the main indication of use/condition, your Doctor may have prescribed this for another reason. Please follow your Doctors directions.
For more information on Vigisom, visit Medsafe Vigisom Consumer Medicines Information