Cold and flu are common in children, but what is the best medicine that can be given to relieve symptoms?
Cold and flu medicines can help reduce the symptoms of cold and flu, such as fever and cough, but they do not cure the infection.
Cold and flu signs and symptoms
The flu (influenza) is caused by a virus and can cause a variety of symptoms. Children with the flu usually experience at least 2 or 3 of the following symptoms:
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Fever (temperature greater than 38°C)
- Chills or shivering
- Upset tummy, vomiting or diarrhoea
- Body aches or pains
It can be easy to confuse a cold with the flu – but with the flu, children are usually more unwell and their symptoms often last for longer.
How do I care for my child with fever?
- Offer plenty of fluids to drink, especially water or rehydration fluid (little and often is best)
- Give them plenty of rest
- Make sure the room temperature is comfortable (not too hot or too cold)
- If possible, open a window for ventilation but avoid draughts
- Change them into lightweight clothing and use lighter bedding
- Do not use hot water bottles or electric blankets
- Use a cool, damp cloth to wipe their face, hands, and neck often
- Change bed linen and clothing regularly, especially if they are wet from sweat
When should I take my child to the doctor?
If you think your child has the flu, always get in contact with your doctor if they are:
- Less than 1 year old (or were premature and are under 2)
- Any age but also have a long-lasting, ongoing health condition such as asthma, other type of lung condition, heart disease, leukemia or similar, or have recently spent time in hospital
- Any age but are drinking much less than they normally do, are very irritable, have noisy breathing or are breathing quickly, are looking very unwell and you are worried and concerned, or they just don’t seem to be improving
Best medicine for my child with cold & flu?
The best medicine for your child depends on their age and severity of symptoms.
Make it easy, shop online at ZOOM Pharmacy. We have a range of recommended medicines for you to choose from. Got a question? Just get in touch with one of our expert pharmacists!
Be prepared with ZOOM Pharmacy
This winter it is especially important to be prepared for cold & flu season. Being ready for the inevitable winter ills and chills means the best chance at a quick relief and recovery for your family.